MSDE Announcement: State Board Actions, May 24, 2016
For Immediate Release Contact: William Reinhard, 410-767-0486
Baltimore, MD (May 26, 2016)
At the May 24, 2016 meeting of the Maryland State Board of Education, the following actions were taken:
- Granted permission to publish amendments to Regulations .01, .02, .03, .04 and .05 under Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.05.07 Program for Non-English and Limited English Learners to incorporate new standards and new federal language and program requirements.
- Granted permission to publish amendments to Regulation .01 under 13A.04.11 Programs in World Languages to incorporate revised standards for world languages.
- Granted permission to adopt amendments to Regulations .01, .03, and .05 under COMAR 13A.10.01 General Regulations to provide flexibility in instructor and location of instruction for home schooled students.
- Approved changes proposed by the Professional Standards and Teacher Education Board to Regulation .02 under COMAR 13A.12.03 School Counselor to incorporate new certification requirements required as a result of legislation adopted by the Maryland General Assembly during the 2015 legislative session under the title “Professional Standards and Teacher Education Board – School Counselors – Certification Renewal Requirement (Lauryn’s Law).”
- Appointed Dr. Karen B. Salmon as Maryland's next State Superintendent of Schools effective July 1, 2016. Dr. Salmon will assume the duties and responsibilities in an acting capacity effective June 1, 2016. Dr. Salmon has spent the vast majority of her career in Maryland public education. She joined the Maryland State Department of Education in August 2015 in the role as Assistant State Superintendent for College and Career Readiness before accepting the position as Interim Deputy State Superintendent for the Office of School Effectiveness in January 2016.
# # #