Announcement: Actions of the State Board, September 22, 2015
For Immediate Release Contact: William Reinhard, 410-767-0486
Baltimore, MD (September 25, 2015)
September 22, 2015 State Board of Education Meeting
At the September 22, 2015 meeting of the Maryland State Board of Education, the following actions were taken:
- Recognized 2015 Principals and Assistant Principals of the Year:
- National Distinguished Principal – Mrs. Carol Hahn, Bellows Springs Elementary (Howard County)
- Assistant Principal – Mr. Matthew Wagner, formerly at Lincolnshire Elementary (Washington County)
- Principal - Dr. Monifa McKnight, Ridgeview Middle School (Montgomery County)
- Assistant Principal – Dr. Ashanti Foster, Oxen Hill Middle School (Prince George’s County)
- Principal – Mr. John Baugher, Francis Scott Key High School (Carroll County)
- Read Governor’s citation proclaiming October as Principal’s Month.
- Granted permission to publish amendments to COMAR 13A.10.01.01-.05 Administration of Home Instruction Program. The proposed amendments: (1) eliminate the phrase "to teach his or her child at home" to allow flexibility in both the instructor and location of instruction; (2) allow a home instruction program to include enrollment on part-time or full-time basis in courses offered by accredited or unaccredited colleges with verification by either a report card or transcript submitted to the local superintendent or designee; and (3) allow enrollment on a part-time or full-time basis in courses offered by accredited or unaccredited colleges with the approval of a supervising nonpublic school or institution.
- Approved implementation dates and qualifying scores for the revised PRAXIS II content assessments for certification in Early Childhood Education and Computer Science.
- Approved the Fiscal Year 2017 State Education Budget Estimates and Requests and the County Public Library Capital Projects Grant Program FY 2017 Recommended Funding for submission to the Department of Budget and Management.
- Authorized the Interim State Superintendent to notify the Comptroller to withhold 10% of the November State aid payment and each subsequent installment for any system that is not in full compliance with §5-114 of the Education Article.
- Recognized former State Superintendent of Schools Dr. Lillian Lowery.
- Ratified the appointment of Mrs. Madhu Sidhu as Maryland’s delegate to the National Association of State Boards Delegate Assembly during the annual conference in October, 2015.
# # #